kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Stuart- mycoplasmosis elimination

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Stuart McArthur on January 10, 2002 at 00:59:50:

In Reply to: Stuart posted by Justin on January 09, 2002 at 22:58:25:

: It is my understanding that the rinse if done properly will eliminate the mycoplasma organism.

: Justin

I suggest you go to the wbsite at Gainesville University concerning mycoplasmosis run by Elliott Jacobson "Really Wild about animals" I can try and find the URL but I suspect you can find it through a search on Florida University and Gainseville and veterinary and mycoplasmosis.

This is a comprehensive document and should if I remember correctly, explain many of the reasons why elimination is currently unrealistic. This is what you need to look at. There are some good turtle and other reptile pages there too. What a man!

Systemic therapy will be necessary. Topoical will improve the condition of the animal in clinical cases. Some cases will be subclinical and have no signs.

The latest workers I am aware of have looked at oral clarithromycin and phamacokinetics. ( How drugs work in chelonians bodies) Using this drug or long acting doxycycline injections ( which are more realistic than long term oral treatment without placement of an oesophagostomy tube) elimination of the infective agent may become possible, (This is being worked upon) but certainly not using topical flushes which will result in clinical improvemet and carriers which shed in response to immunological stressors.

We cultured mycoplasmosis from the nose and EYES of clinical cases here in the UK. Unless you treat ALL the places where the agent is you wont elimibate it from the body. It isnt just in the nose. Eyes and potentially other more widely distributed sites will harbour the agent in clinical and subclinical sites too.

A great vet from USA told me that a good test for tortoise mycoplasmosis was to take an eye swab from the animal and then stick it in your own eye. If it goes red and sore you probably have the agent! I didnt fancy it so have used a lab instead.

Nasal only treatment results in a clinically normal animal that carries the agent. It has the potential to shed and infect new contacts at some future point. Perhaps many months after it is introduced to them. e.g. following a period of hibernation in certain species, or during folliculogenesis/ovulation in breeding females where the animals immune status may not be optimum.

Does this help?

Stuart

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]