kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some thoughts . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on January 06, 2002 at 17:55:12:

I have 5 rottweilers (4 male, 1 female). I have 2 male chihuahuas. I have 3 red-eared sliders. I have Virgil. I have purchased the turtles/tort because dogs don't live long enough and I can hardly bear it anymore. 99% of the chihuahua people would be appalled that I have rottweilers. Most people would be appalled that I have 5 rottweilers within the city limits. Some slider people think they only belong in ponds, and not the 55 gal tank I currently have them in. Some tort people think Virgil is doomed because I don't live in the south. The chihuahua people are ignorant of my other dogs' dispositions, training, etc. and the fact that I go to great lengths to make sure there are no accidents. Many people feel 5 rottweilers in one location is a recipe for disaster. Particularly 4 big males. They also are ignorant of their dispositions and training. My dogs have never bitten anyone. Many dog owners cannot say the same regardless of the breed. My silders will eventually have a pond when they are big enough to be safely kept outdoors all of the time. And, while Virgil will not have a southern climate for quite a while (I am not ruling this out), he will have suitable housing as he grows larger and is in a better position to tolerate temperature changes. It gets very old defending your choice of pet over and over and over to others who are uninformed of your circumstances, finances, etc. If you think there are tons of abandoned sulcatas out there, just look at what happened to rottweilers! They are destroyed, at whim, just for being what they are. Sure, don't buy from the puppy mills. There will be no market. On the other hand, why should the puppy/hatchling suffer or be killed because of the situation they were born in to through no fault of their own. It is not reasonable to think that the population will just stop buying puppies and tortoises from pet shops or irreputable breeders, or roadside stands. I also find it hard to believe that all reputably captive bred tortoises make it in to the hands of the perfect owner. Circumstances change, tortoises change hands, and the next thing you know they may be part of the vicious circle creating the overpopulation. You can only hope for each person to do right by their pets to the best of their ability. This forum has helped many and I hope it stays that way. The exchange of ideas is beneficial to everyone. One person's opinion is not gospel. Pick and choose what is best for your situation. Mixing chihuahuas and rottweilers is by no means 'acceptable' to the majority of chi/rott owners. I would hardly recommend it to a novice and I would not recommend it in general. However, I defend my right to do with them as I please since they are mine, they are properly maintained and monitored, and the situation is unique to me. Until just a year ago a male pitbull and another male rott were right in the middle of my household. Unfortunately I lost them both to cancer. Even with that incresed number, I had no problems. I was fortunate and I am thankful. So, everyone, please continue to bombard me with your ideas and suggestions and comments and advice, and I will continue to choose what works best for Virgil and me. We are forever in your debt. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]