kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: How hard is it to Breed Geochelone Denticulata?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by steve on January 05, 2002 at 01:39:52:

In Reply to: How hard is it to Breed Geochelone Denticulata? posted by Allan Hamilton Jr. on January 04, 2002 at 20:23:58:

very hard unless you have a mature pair housed together!!!
just kiddin, getting yellowfoots to breed isn't the hard part in my opinion, but i live in florida and they feel right at home.
hatching the eggs i'd say is the tricky part. from my experience, the eggs need very high humidity, but a dry substrate. kinda hard to create, but works great for me. i use a hovabator with all the bottom resevoirs filled with water. the eggs are in dry butter bowls with dry paper towels (plain white) then placed in a rubbermaid with a 1/2 inch or so of water and the whole setup is placed in the hovabator. you'll have to get the short butter tubs and a short shoe box sized rubbermaid to fit it all under the heating element of the hovabator if you use this setup. if you don't, just get the humidity as high as you can without the eggs having direct contact with actual moisture. when i first started trying to hatch them i was using moist paper towels and the eggs would swell to quickly and crack the hard outer shell. it's usually repairable, but can be avoided altogeteher.
good luck,
steve

: I have been researching yellow foots for a while and was just wondering how difficult it may be. I would Really appreciate any information on care or breeding of this species of torts.

: Thanks Much!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]