kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Welcome . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on December 30, 2001 at 23:15:35:

In Reply to: NEW TO BOARD posted by S.A.F. on December 30, 2001 at 22:35:23:

: Just wanna introduce myself. I'm Steve & I have usually gone to the aquatic turtle forum since (up til now) I've only kept Snapping Turtles & Caimans. Christmas Day I was given a 3 year-old African Spur by a friend who is moving overseas & can't bring it into Italy. She bought it in '98 and says when she got it, it fit easily onto the top of a beer can (what 2-in.?)--it's now exactly 8-inches from front shell tip to back shell tip. Some questions please:
: 1)... is it about the right size for how old it is? Big or small for its age?
: *************************
: 2)...how can I tell if its male or female?
: ******************************************
: 3)...it's diet has consisted of fruits & vegetables with a vitamin powder-kale,spinach,melons,peaches/apples--I noticed "grasses" mentioned on here, is that important?
: ***********************************************
: 4)...I've got him in an aquarium that's 4-ft. long & 15-inches deep. Is this suitable for the time being?
: ****************************************************
: He sees like a happy little guy, not like those turtles that do nothing but hide in their shell--hes out crawling all over & only pulls himself in when you step to close, and then hes back out & crawling again in about 15 seconds. For a turtle, hes pretty much fearless, he crawls after the dog (a big Lab) until the pooch takes refuge on the couch. Never seen a turtle like this! Any tips on his care & feeding would be appreciated. ~S.A.F.~

I'm no expert, only an owner for a year, but you will get all of the info you need right here. Many many knowledgable, ready to help, friendly people. A heads up ... you're going to be told to get him out of the aquarium. The plus side ... if he can't go outside right now the alternatives are not expensive (a big wooden box or Rubbermaid container). Just sit back and wait for the advice to come in. There will be lots of links to research and lots of suggestions. My Virgil is a little over a year old and a little over 3" long. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]