kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Which store?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by danya on December 26, 2001 at 22:45:18:

In Reply to: Which store? posted by Justin on December 25, 2001 at 21:44:13:

: : i believe you are over-generalizing way too much, we do Not sell imports, only captive bred animals come into out store. If we can't get one, we don't get one. everyone who works in the store knows what they are talking about, the reason we extend the warranty for people that buys the necessities is because we KNOW that they have what it needs, if we go on what everyone says they already bought, then everyone would be saying that. i don't know what pet store would suggest a 10 gallon tank for a tortoise except maybe petco or a mall pet store. i live in NJ, so we don't sell tortoises or turtles, but lets say someone was getting a bearded dragon. A setup i would sell is: at LEAST a 30 gallon tank (to minimize overall stress of switching environments too many times in the future when it gets big)or large screen cage, 2 heat lights, day and night, florescent light with uv-b, calcium with d3 powder, pellets, heat rock, water dish, food dish, a book, bedding that allows digging, and something to hide in and climb on. We also let them know to feed crickets and meal worms, and fruits and veggies, and give them instructions on how to care for it. We ALWAYS suggest to take a book home and read it first before buying an animal, we will hold an animal for an extra day for them to decide. Not all pet stores are owned by evil, money-seeking people that have no interest in the animals well being. We only get animals from breeders we know are good. And we don't get more animals if we recieve one that's not in perfect health. We truley care for our animals, the cages are always clean and they recieve only the best care (feeding, enlosures, etc...).

: :
: : : Many disorders will not show up for many weeks or months or yes even years. Lets say someone takes their animal to the vet, the vet checks for parasites in the stool and does blood work and says the animal is fine. Wallah, 6 months later hexamita shows up and the tortoise is killed whose responsibiltiy is it? The owner most likely did not expose the animal to it, should they be left with the heartache and expense of a dead animal. Buyers in pet store situation are usually prey, their lack of knowledge leads to them buying an animal they no little about. Why MONEY, it's all about MONEY. I am not asking pet stores to discontinue selling animals, but they should only sell captive bred stock, not half dead imports. After doing this they should hire experienced and animal educated people to be around the animals, then they should stand behind the animals they sell. As far as buying the appropriate merchandise for their pet, let me ask what is the appropriate setup? I maintain over 70 reptiles, little of their "setup" was purchased from a petstore, since there are cheaper and sometimes better alternatives. Yet by your logic these people should not be treated to the same luxuries the high spenders are.

: : : For instance a few months ago, I purchased a small leopard tortoise with moderate mbd. The condition was known to me at the time of purchase, but seemed to escape the staff. I allowed the pet store employee to set me up with the proper setup, it was a 10 gallon tank, astroturf, a heat lamp, reptile bulb, and pretty pets tortoise pellets. I was also told he would need a fair sized waterbowl. I purchased none of the above items. Today, I have a healthy active tortoise that has doubled in size since entering my care. He lives outside in a pen made with lumber, nails and netting which cost me around ten dollars. During the colder months he lives in a sheep trough with another leopard. Should I have been screwed out of a warranty? I know the pet store game very well, that is why I quit playing it? If pet stores really wanted to help people find good pets, they would sell top quality animals and hire a competent staff; I won't hold my breath.

pet stop in NJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]