kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Calcium based sand why??...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Jake on December 22, 2001 at 11:34:11:

In Reply to: Calcium based sand why??... posted by Niki and Ted on December 22, 2001 at 10:54:22:

: There's no point in using Calcium based sand and
: it has many negative points including impaction if
: eaten accidentally. It certainly should not be
: considered as a source for providing calcium, and
: otherwise provides no benefits other than emptying
: your wallet as this stuff is expensive as heck.
: Sand is abrasive to the shell and skin/legs/feet
: as well as dusty and potentially irritating to the
: eyes.

: An indoor kiddie pool must be carefully situated
: away from drafts, and a 75 watt might work, or
: might not be enough, plus where's the UV lighting???
: I'd recommend an Active UV light type.

: I do agree that children and other animals are a
: danger, no matter how well-meaning parents are,
: it ain't happening that little kids are going to
: be gentle all the time. (That's right up there
: with, "he doesn't bite" and "it's not loaded").Wrong.

: We handle our sulcata a lot, he is not bothered by
: it and is very accustomed to it. He rides in the
: van, he goes visiting, walks around the neighborhood
: with me, free-roams the house (never an accident in
: over 2 years), and is very personable.

Sorry, I strongly disagree. Calcium sand is digestable. The chances of getting impacted is extremely low as compared with other sands. Organic substrates will harbor diseases and promote the growth of mites. Not to mention smell if not changed very very often. Calcium based sands eliminate all these problems. Yes, there are expensive stuff out there but there is also stuff you can buy by the dump truck load. I buy by the dump truck load ($50 a yard). I even add it to my outdoor pens. I could quote you many books if you like that will support all of this. I could also invite you to my home to see the many generations that have been raised this way. Sincerely, you are welcome!

I have seen many torts get sick because of human handling. If you must handle your tort, I might suggest that you wash your hands before and after. I wonder if they will ever pass a "4 inch human law"? Some torts (especially arrid climate torts) expel their stored fluids when handled. It is only my personal belief that this is not good for the tort since the retention of this fluid was designed to keep the tort hydrated during the dry seasons.

You are very correct, I do agree that there should be a good UV source hanging from the "A" frame structure. This is very important but only in the long haul. Most new tort owners have a critical 6 month window that they must provide the essentials to their tort or else it dies. When I respond to a new tort owner my first priority is to make sure the tort does not die because of improper care. There are many other things that I have not mentioned. My intent is not to write a book here or to monopolize a conversation. This is why I suggested reading other sources. I truly enjoy all other opinions.

Jake

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]