kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Some more Sulcatta questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Annie on December 13, 2001 at 22:18:03:

In Reply to: Some more Sulcatta questions posted by kennethcole on December 13, 2001 at 02:51:40:

: A little about my Sulcatta. His name is Francis and he is approx 5 months old.

Waking hours varies a lot...hatchling and juvenile tortoises hide about 95% of the time in the wild (to avoid predators, etc.) and they don't lose that instinct when captive. As long as ther is activity...all should be OK...

Watch out on the food, too much will cause rapid growth, weak bones, possibly MBD, and renal problems. Remember that his stomach is about the size of his head...and that they do not need to be fed a lot of food every day. Link below fdor lists of good food items.for Sulcata the most important is grasses...they are a cow in a shell so to speak...and need items which are low in moisture, high in fiber, and have a good calcium/phosphorus ratio.

Hope this helps...
Annie

: 1) What is the average number these little guys are awake? Francis seems to wake up and take long naps all day and night.

: 2) Any specific position they should be in when sleeping? My little one seems to just sprawl out when warm, and pull itself in when cold or when he burrows under

: 3) About how much should he be eating at this point? All though he eats like I pig he doesn't eat what I have read in some books and on most pages.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]