kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Answers to Mazuri Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Annie on December 11, 2001 at 20:06:54:

In Reply to: Please tell me this then posted by Shane on December 11, 2001 at 15:42:55:

As an authorized Mazuri distributor...I can tell you this much.

The 25 pound bags of tortoise were only intended for zoological use....zoos go through a lot of food.

The difference in cost you see is marketing.

This is why we do not offer the newly introduced one pound CANS or the smaller pre-packaged bags...the cost is so prohibitive that we won't. While we do not offer 25 pound bags (the cost of shipping those is prohibitive) we do offer one pound and 5 pound sizes, without a lot of the fancy "canned" packaging. Our packaging has to be inspected, etc.

This allows us (with express permission from Mazuri) to help tortoise keepers (and all exotic animal keepers, incl. aquatic turtles, amphibs, etc.) with small animals or only a few animals to get the product they need, at less cost than the newly introduced cans are.

Also, not everyone has space to keep 25 or 50 pounds of food fresh, it will go bad before ever used, ends up with insects in it, is subject to changes in humidity, temperature, etc. It NEEDS to be FRESH if it is going to have any nutritional benefit to your animals at all.

Our turnover from the original manufacturing date to the date that someone receives it after ordering is only a few weeks because we don't order from a feed dealer (the feed dealer orders from a wholesale pet supply warehouse, the pet supply warehouse orders from Mazuri so it changes hands several times before getting to you..as the clock ticks away) we order straight from Mazuri.

Even our cricket food (which is a lab diet and is not available to the public..is made available to you by us, which is prohibitive in cost to us because we have to purchase it in 25 pound boxes, do you have any idea of just HOW MUCH cricket food that is??! We feel it the best on the market to gut load for box turtles, lizards etc. so we gladly do it for our customers, they like the products and we like for them to have healthy, happy animals. If you bought 50 pounds of rodent diet to feed your little colony of 5 or 6 breeder mice..there would probably be not much nutritional value left in it by the time you got to the bottom of the bag. Those with large colonies of breeding mice...with a LOT of turtles, tortoises etc, might not benefit from this, but a lot of people don't have a "farm" just a couple of animals do, and they're very happy.

The newly introduced canned product line is indeed very pretty looking...but costs so much it just is not worth it. This type of packaging costs Mazuri a lot...so the cost is passed onto you as a consumer.

This is in no way an advertisement, I am trying my best to answer a question I have been seeing a lot lately, there is a lot of confusion, and my guess is in a year (or two) the 25 pound bags of Tortoise will no longer be available to anyone but wholesalers and zoological institutions.

Annie

(: okay here is my question then. Why is it that if you look at the website for mazuri it does not list a 25lb bag. Nor does the local supplier, for Turtle-town, even have it. Something seems wierd here. If anyone knows if there is a difference or why its never listed please let me know.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]