return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Over-grown beak

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hidde on January 30, 1999 at 02:14:30:

In Reply to: Re: Over-grown beak posted by nathan on January 28, 1999 at 19:06:35:

Thanks all, I will keep watching thier beaks for a while. I usually do not worry about this too much. Once I had a box turtle with this problem, but it was easily gone away... But the russians I got this time are showing an extreme case of the over-grown beak. Their beaks look way too long and very hard like ones of parrots. I do not think that will go away so soon...
Anyway I got them at a reptile pet shop. The owner said someone brought them to the shop since he/she was not able to take care of them anymore. I have no idea how long they have been in captivety. But I tell you, they are very strong and stubborn animals. It must be hard to pull thier heads out of the shells and trim the beak. I prefer to let it wear down naturally. Using cuttlebone soulds like a great idea! Hope they will like that.

Have a great weekend.

: I've had this problem in box turtles that I got.
: I feed them on a flat piece of slate and they wear
: down to normal after a couple months. Where did you
: get your russians?

:
: : : : Hello, I got a pair of russian tortoises the other day. Both are adults, probably more than 15 years old judging by thier sizes. They are doing fine, but a problem is both have over-grown beaks. At this point, they do not seem to be bothered by that, but I think I need to do something. What would you do about the orver-grown beak? Is there any good way to trim that? Or should I keep feeding something solid and let it wear out naturally? I would appreciate any ideas.
: : : : Thanks

: : : Hi!
: : : Russians are great... you'll enjoy them. The beaks can be trimmed. I would recommend having an experienced vet do it. To prevent it from happening again give them whole food so they have to bite pieces off. Carrots are good for this. Also give them a cuttlebone (used for birds).

: : Hi,
: : I recommend using cuttlebone and carrots and the middle part of the lettuces and celery( good source of fiber and chewing)Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]