kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Need Help, getting an Egyptian to eat!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Matt on December 08, 2001 at 10:43:29:

I have two Egytian Tortoises under a year old. They have been beautiful creatures, unfortunatly one of them recently has stopped eating and has begun to show signs of MBD, I am guessing it is because of his size that it happened fairly quickly, or at least to a noticible point. His cage mate is doing fantastic however. I took him to the vet yesterday and he was given a shot of Flagyl and some D3. They have proper UV lighting, about 90 degrees at the hotest during the day and of coarse cooler at night. He does walk around some, whenever I put him on or near the food dish he walks away from it while his cage mate chomps away. I soak them at least twice a week. As far as I can tell as well as by the vets opinion I am doing everything just about textbook, and his cage mate is doing beautifully, just can't get this guy to get eat so he can grow and get his calcium from the supplement as well as what is in the veggies. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get their tortoises to eat or even forcefeed them? I am trying some more smelly as well as more colorfull foods to try and apeal to his sense of smell and sight, though he isn't opening his eyes very often. In case you aren't familiar with the Egyptian they stay very small, the get no bigger than 4 inches on average and right now these two guys are right around an inch in size. If I can get this guy to eat I am sure I can get him back on a healthy track, any advice at all will be greatly appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]