kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Amikacin

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Will A. on December 08, 2001 at 08:54:56:

In Reply to: Re: Amikacin posted by nick on December 07, 2001 at 18:47:21:

Nick, I'm glad to say that the stars I posted the pictures of are not the ones with the problem. I got a group for a friend of mine and I have been keeping them until he finishes their enclosure. Anyway, when they arrived they all had some degree of nasal discharge and sounded a little coarse. I started them all on baytril right away and kept their enclosure very warm. The baytril cleared all but one of them up. I sure that the reason why the last one still shows some discharge is that she has been treated with baytril on another occasion. There must be some element of resistance at work here. Either way the tortoise is much better but still has some mild discharge. I've gotten a great deal of feedback from people about the amikacin and I want to thank everyone for their advice. Back in the day, before veterinary medicine was really equipped to treat reptiles we learned the hard way about amikacin and all the aminoglycosides when it comes to killing kidneys. So if I chose to go the amikacin route, which I'm likely to, I will certainly keep the tortoise well hydrated. I don't anticipate any problem with this because she is still very active, eating well and enjoys a bath. I'll keep the forum posted as to how she's doing, and once again I want to thank everyone who replied both on the forum and by email...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]