kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcattas.. a bit long, sorry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Katrina on November 24, 2001 at 22:55:58:

In Reply to: Sulcattas.. a bit long, sorry posted by Suli on November 24, 2001 at 03:08:54:

Suli,

Have you thought about putting up a sign to go with your babies, alerting passer-by to the difficulties with owning these guys? Your babies could become spokestortoises, preventing other consumers from buying without the whole story. There is a good picture in one of the recent Reptiles magazines, it has a baby sulcata sitting on the marginal scute of a full-grown adult. Pictures like that can help make people realize just how big these guys can get. You could also have copies of the "Sulcata Reality Check" next to the babies.

I also have a copy of "Living with Sulcatas", if you would like to read it. Please send me your e-mail address if you'd like it.

Sincerely,

Katrina

: Hi, I bought my 2 sulcatta babies about a month ago. At first, once I found out the posible destruction they could cause I got really worried and was looking into finding a better suited home/owner for them. Since then I've had time to really think about whether or not I can care for them and have talked to many people about theirs. In the end I decided I think I can provide a good home for them and I guess I don't really want a perfect lawn that badly :)
: I've started taking my babies to work with me (I work in Petco) and I think they actually enjoy it. They sit bask under a heat lamp all day, get a variety of veggies when I fix lunch for all the other reptiles, and get soaked and a butt brush (ew) with a soft doggie toothbrush (I found this works really, really well). They also get ooed and aawd all day since they're so cute (I think this may make them a bit conscieted)
: Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for all your info, whether good or bad. I'll keep reading and posting on this forum as my little babies become, well huge babies. I'm really glad I decided to keep them and am now better informed to deal with any problems.
: Thanks,
: Suli :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]