kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Nope (find out what the HSUS is really saying)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Katrina on November 21, 2001 at 22:56:46:

In Reply to: Re: Nope posted by Hudson on November 20, 2001 at 20:06:54:

Folks, if you want to know what the HSUS is actually saying, rather than relying on rumors from other people, order their book or visit their website. It's hard to fight against something when you don't know the whole story.

Katrina

: I was under the impression that they wanted to ban reptiles because of salmonella.Not because of wild caught,smuggling or neglect.As far as salmonella goes,there are a number of ways to catch it.So it is a form of discrimination to just say reptiles have it.So if you are going to ban one ,ban them all.No more chicken,bad fruit,dairy products,birds,etc.That is plain crazy.Now,as far as wild caught,I am totally against it.But I don't think the HSUS cares about that.I also see that you feel strongly about the sulcattas.Well why is an animal like that even for sale in the first place.Just like dogs,the large ones are always the ones that are dumped.I understand how passionate you are about "saving" animals.But in reality,there are terrible things that happen.Not just to animals ,but children,the elderly and anyone or thing that cannot defend itself.Part of being an American is having freedom.Freedom to choose in your own life what is right and wrong.If I choose to have reptiles in my home with my children,then I am also choosing to take on the responsebility(sp)that goes along with it.But I donot feel I should be punished because another parent carelessly let their child get salmonella from a reptile,or worse yet hurt from one.ex:If I choose to get on a motorcycle without a helmet,that would be my choice.(a dumb one).All I can say is everyone is going to have different ideas and until something clicks,we will have problems with every pet.But they are worth fighting for in my eyes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]