kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Reptile ban comments and a reply...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Matt J. on November 20, 2001 at 22:13:57:

In Reply to: Proposed Reptile ban comments posted by Justin on November 19, 2001 at 21:29:40:

: Maybe they feel there are too many sulcatas dying because of poor captive maintenace.

Sulcata SHOULD be bred in massive numbers, head-started for at least three years and shipped BACK to Africa all being funded by an international (animal) organization of some sort or by the country of origin subsidizing the program. Yeah, I know... NO one has any money for an actual program like this and the possibililty of disease introduction, logistics, etc... all I can say to that is, "get a clue".

: Maybe they are upset with loose and dangerous reptiles being found quite often in urban and suburban settings, they are right again.

Loose IS a problem. Dangerous? That is EXTREMELY rare. Also depends on what you define as dangerous.

: Or maybe they are sick of hearing about all the mistreated animals that are stolen from their homes only to die on route to someone's bedroom.

Good call. Most of the disposable imports should be slowed to a trickle or stopped all together. If the price of a Fire Skink was $200 each, I'm inclined to believe the individual purchasing it would take rather fine care of it. Maybe we should tell ALL the exporters to jack-up their prices on $0.50 lizards, etc a few hundred to thousand percent. Then I'm sure people would do their homework if a Green Iguana cost $400 bucks. Ever happen? Nope.

: some of their issues make alot of sense don't they. Sometimes you have to punish the many to get the few. Instead of blasting them, lets try to clean our acts up. The worst enemy is the enemy within.

Good statement again. There are TONS of terribly irrisponsible owners of reptiles out there; that is a fact. There are also millions of terrible auto drivers out there and guess what. They DID NOT ban driving! They made laws to punish the idiots. Maybe we should do the same. I'm not a major control freak or in favor of crazy regulations, but maybe it is time to start slapping some wallets instead of wrists and get the idiots attention once and for all. Nice idea, but WHO is going to write it all up then enforce it??? Not the local animal control officers... they are nearly broke as it stands. What was the point of my reply? Who knows... I'm tired so please don't mind any spelling/grammer issues I created.

Matt
p.s. - The Humane Society makes a few valid points, BUT they make a number of terribly unsubstantiated claims and provide a great deal of flat out false information. In a nutshell: They need to do more homework (heck, we all do), because it's pretty obvious to me they are in the dark ages on a number of subjects... but all of this has only been my opinion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]