kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Mazuri question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Greg_978 on November 16, 2001 at 11:40:20:

In Reply to: Re: Mazuri question--totally different from the others posted by Joshua on November 16, 2001 at 07:40:37:

: technically I think the difference is plant versus animal proteins.. water turtles are omnivorous by nature.. therefore they eat meats and veggies unliek the tortoises... They need the higher rate of proteins in their diets becasue that's the way their body is designed, too much meat is as bad for a slider as a little meat is for a tortoise... but the 38% in Mazuri is comparable to the amt in Reptomin, Nutrafin, Wardley's and most of the others. It's certainly not going to hurt to give tortoise diet to a slider, but you should still provide a majority of food designed for that species.

: : A high protein diet is also not good for my red-eared sliders. The Mazuri for water turtles is about 38% protein which is comparable to Reptomin sticks. What would be wrong with feeding them the tortoise diet which is substantially lower in protein? Any good reason not to? I hate not feeding them daily, so I usually just give them small amounts and plants frequently. But if the lower protein diet is better for them (and they will eat anything) I'd prefer using that. Thanks.

Actually I was speaking to someone VERY knowledgable (well known turtle vet) about diets, etc, yesterday.... and she feeds her box turtles the Mazuri tortoise diet, she believes that lower protein may actually be better for them also.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]