kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I had the same thoughts as you... np

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Brian D. on November 13, 2001 at 08:37:05:

In Reply to: Misuse of the phrase "Long Term Captive" or LTC posted by B.Z.T. on November 12, 2001 at 19:07:09:

: Hello forum

: I haven't posted to this forum in a really long time, but after looking through the classifieds on kingsnake, the term LTC (long term captive) is used to describe animals that are what I would consider relatively fresh imports! Considering most turtles life spans, 1-2 years is not what I would consider long term. It seems to me five years ago, a LTC was an animal that had been in captivity for 5+ years and was well acclimated. Has anyone else noticed the changing of the use LTC on any of the boards? I do not mean to single any person out here, its just that I think we are misuing the phrase long term captive.

: Turtles and tortoises have very slow metabolic rates compared to warm blooded animals. Defficiencies in the captive diet may take years to manifest. Also, It can take several years for parasite loads to build up in wild caught animals causing there eventual death. Again, just more evidence that for an animal to be considered a "LTC" it should really be more in the range of 3-5 years. Again, these are just my own personal thoughts and observations, and I wonder if the forum has noticed the changes in the use of this phrase, and if anyone had any ideas as to what qualifications an animal should have to be considered a "Long Term Captive" or LTC.

: Respectfully Submitted,

: B.Z.T.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]