kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Thanks n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by RD on November 11, 2001 at 20:06:51:

In Reply to: Re: Housing posted by Deb on November 11, 2001 at 19:36:33:

: Hi, RD -

: Haven't a clue why no one's answering you. I'm sorry, but I don't get too technical with things. I can't really offer advice, but I'll tell you what I've done.

: I have a 2 1/2 y/o Sulcata named Tank. I live in Ohio so naturally he's inside when it calls for it. What I got when I first posted here two years ago was to feed him about a cup of greens every other day. I've got the Rep-Cal and I used to take about a 1/4 of the little spoonful that's included and spread it over his greens.

: Personally, I don't see the harm in feeding every day as that's exactly what they'd do if they were outside. Also in the summer, I don't feed the Rep-Cal but maybe once a month or so since he's able to be out.

: Soaking sounds good on the whole. I used to soak Tank every other day when I first got him. That's dwindled as well. Now it's mainly once every 2-3 weeks, and will move to probably once a week now that he's back inside for the winter.

: Tank's in a tort table like what used to be on Sulcata Station [haven't visited there in a LONG while, so I don't know if it's still there]. I have a 150w ceramic heat bulb in the lower area and a Reptisun UVB bulb enclosed in the top portion [where he feeds in the winter time]. My house is set at 68 degrees in the winter. 85 degrees at night sounds a little too warm to me as I always thought in the wild, the nights cool down significantly. Right now, Tank's still small enough that the table works. At night, he's usually tucked under the ramp. If he gets too cold, he knows where the heat lamp is. Sometimes I'll find him all sprawled out under the lamp, but it's rare and only if it's bitter cold out [the table's in the kitchen against a north wall]. So far, he seems to be pretty happy, healthy, he's growing, he doesn't have ungodly pyramids on his shell, his eyes sparkle and he comes running to me when I tap on the floor of his table so I must be doing SOMETHING right. ;)

: Hope this helps a smidge. Maybe now you'll get posts telling me how wrong I am. LOL! :)

: Take care!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]