kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: i know that sulcata's dont hibernate but.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Georgia on November 10, 2001 at 21:50:48:

In Reply to: i know that sulcata's dont hibernate but..... posted by dave on November 10, 2001 at 15:28:47:

: i have a 2 yr old sulcata living in a 8' X 4' enclosure. Hot spot = 95-100 degrees, cool spot = 85-90 degrees with temps falling about 10 degrees at night. i have newspaper lined on the cool spot of the enclosure with timothy hay on top of it. this past week my sulcata has burrowed under the timothy hay and newspaper and remains there all day sleeping. she only comes out at night to eat her food and drink. i only know that she is still in there because her food is gone! i know that sulcata's dont hibernate but is this a type of hibernation and "slowing down period" or is this something that i should be concerned about? thanks in advance for any info!

Hi Dave..our two have slowed down a bit these past few weeks. I think it is the change in our weather. Our area has cooled down. They both spend a lot of time in their dogloos these days. They seem to be alternating days who comes out and stays out longer. Today, Tonka, the larger one was half in , half out of his house most of the day. Buster stayed all the way in the back of his but watched everything that was going on when we were out in the yard. Ours like to hide under the timothy hay. We have noticed that they manage to position themselves so their heads are covered but they still can see out. In the warmer weather they both are out by mid morning. These past few weeks, if they choose to come out it usually isn't until later in the day. I wouldn't worry too much, BUT if you aren't seeing him/her at all, I would uncover him/her and check to make sure the breathing, the eyes, the nose are ok and even his/her legs are strong. If he/she seem ok and eating...I would say it's the change in weather. But keep an good eye on him/her.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]