kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: More sulcatta questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Georgia on November 10, 2001 at 09:43:51:

In Reply to: More sulcatta questions posted by Suli on November 10, 2001 at 03:28:16:

: Ok, now that my questions on burrowing have been answered I have a few more. FIrst I'm a little mad at the guy who sold my two sulcattas to me, I specifically asked him if there was anything I needed to know about theses guys and if there was anything I needed to worry about due to their (eventual) large size. He said no they're very sweet, just keep em warm and feed them veggies.
: So I've been doing that and they are very sweet and very cute. When they reach a much larger size (right now they fit in my hand), if I provide a heated dog house for them, are they still likely to burrow as much? Plus, a lot of the soil in San Diego is mostly clay and really hard to dig in anyway. Can this help me keep somewhat of a yard rather than an eventual war zone?

Hi Suli...we live in Simi Valley, southern end of Ventura County. Are you familar with the area? If not not it is north of you. We have two sulcatas, both male. One we've had since he was smaller than my palm. The other we took on at about 18 lbs. Ours are out 24/7. They each have their own dogloos, with ceramic heat lamp and filled with timothy hay. We, too, have clay like dirt. Our two have yet to dig any holes. They burrow under the hay in their dogloos, they hide under the hibiscus hedge and shelter themselves under a couple of other branchy bushes that aren't as dense as the hibiscus. They are at 20+ and 40+ lbs currently, so who knows what is in the future. We are HOPING that the key to their not burrowing is that they have both warm and cool areas for "hiding" in that give the temps they chose to be in. Our clay dirt I truly feel won't stop them if they chose to dig. We've had dogs that have in the past dug some good size wholes in it and they were no where as strong as these sweet monsters are. Of course who knows what the future holds with these guys. I'll have to admit they do a damn good job on keeping the lawn mowed. Gardner only does our front lawn. Problem being, they don't mow it evenly and they haven't learned the fine art of edging. If you want, e mail me with you addy and I'll send you some pics if you want. G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]