return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian needs help!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by josh on January 25, 1999 at 19:04:07:

In Reply to: Re: Russian needs help!!! posted by Joe on January 25, 1999 at 16:19:40:

: : :Hi Josh, my friend has an albino box turtle, a valuable animal, that was very poorly treated by the first owner. The animal had been raised in a calcium and protein deficient environment and had developed a crumpled looking, deformed shell. He (my friend) started the little turtle on a correct diet and with the correct environment. The turtle began to improve and it looked as though the shell would straighten out. But, the back of the carapace over the spine did not grow. It appeared that two scutes were fused and not growing. The decision was made to cut the suture line between the scutes to allow them to bend so the spine would not be affected. That was several years ago, and the little turtle looks quite normal today. I don't know what is causing the problem with your tort. Talk to your vet before you attempt any course of action. This example I have shared with you may or maynot solve your torts problem. Your tort needs to be carefully evaluated before any procedure is performed. (It might just be a young male! The plastron is convex in males.) I offer it to illustrate a method that worked in one case. My best wishes.

: In many torts the male has a concave shell. This is not the case with russians. Did the shell suddenly cave in or has it been like this for a while? Russians are very susceptable to shell infections. They must be kept dry eaxept when soaking them 1x a week or so. If it came on fast it could be an infection.

The vet informed us it was not a infection. When we first got the torts they were malnourished and small. We fed them a high protein and large diet. Due to feeding them this diet, the female devloped an uneven shell formation from the middle towards the sides. That means the shell is higher in the middle as opposed to the sides. It kind of reminds me of a four wheel drive truck in a sense that when a truck gets highsided( stuck on something in the middle of the truck) the wheels can't touch the ground. It is similar with our female, if she continues growing this way her feet may eventually never touch the ground. She will not be able to move around. We are hoping someone has some good news to help us. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]