kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Unhappy tort?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Joshua on November 02, 2001 at 09:58:33:

In Reply to: Re: Unhappy tort? posted by EJ on November 02, 2001 at 09:54:17:

I'll raise the temps which are on a thermostat to keep the whole pen at 72.. and the hot spot is about 90. I'll go up about 5 degrees and see what happens. She has a water dish in her pen, though she doesn't ever go to it since she's sitting in one place. But I did put her in it yesterday as a reminder to drink... she moved out of it, but I don't know if she drank... since she won't even look out of her shell if I'm close by.

Thanks.. I was just concerned that this wasn't normal... but if it is.. especially with the time of year, I'll not worry as much. But I'll keep trying new things.

: Keep you eye on this forum and other tortoise lists. You're going to see many posts like yours. This time of year the temperatures drop and we take for granted the the present heat sources are adequate. Unless you have your system on a thermostat you probably do not have enough heat. Remember if you are keeping a tortoise going through the winter it needs to have enough time to get its body temperature up to running speed for foraging before it needs to spool down. So, try raising the night time temperatures. Again, watch the hydration.
: Ed

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]