kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New tortoise... stressed??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Joshua on October 30, 2001 at 08:18:49:

In Reply to: Re: New tortoise... stressed?? posted by Lloyd on October 30, 2001 at 07:58:29:

Thanks.. as a turtle(Non-tortoise0 keeper for many years, I understnad the need to let them get adjusted. In this case, I just wanted to actually see her head, to make sure her eyes were clear.. beign that she wouldn't come out of her shell with me around, I had to do this to evaluate her condition. She is now in her enclosure where she'll remain untouched for the next week ro two, to allow her to adjust... then I'll begin the long process of building trust. Thanks for your input... I'll get some pics up in the near future.

Joshua

: Joshua,
: The most important thing to do at this time is to reduce the stress as much as possible. Don't handle the tortoise until she gets settled in and make sure she has hide areas in both the warm and cooler part of her enclosure. Make sure she can stay warm at all times if she wants to. I have seen tortoises with waterly discharge from the face when on a high moisture diet, after your guy gets settled in consider giving her a diet based on grasses and edible weeds (I know - not easy advice in winter). Tortoises learn to recognize their keeper and respond accordingly. After she gets to know and trust you she should not be shy and will probably come to you to see if you have any food for her. Let her do this in her own time.
: Good luck with your new friend.
: Lloyd
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: