kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Amount of space needed to house an adult sulcata for winter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lloyd on October 25, 2001 at 10:26:10:

In Reply to: Re: Amount of space needed to house an adult sulcata for winter? posted by EJ on October 25, 2001 at 09:04:50:

Ed,
You hit on some good points. One difficulty I have with these tortoise boards concerns what you can tell people because of the wide range of skills that the potential readers may have. The vast majority of people that buy tortoises (or most any animal) on impulse should not be encouraged to do so. On the other hand, many tortoise species, including sulcatas, are remarkably resilient as to environment if they are kept properly. Someone with the dedication to commit the time learning about proper husbandry should not be discouraged. I kept sulcatas for seven years before adopting them out since I only wanted to overwinter one species of giant tropical tortoise. They experienced weather conditions far outside the parameters insisted upon by many, but they were never ill. Their adaptability to my climate was learned gradually over many years. One very interesting thing I have discovered is that many species of both plants and animals can thrive in conditions they would never experience in their native ranges (ie Seychelles torts). Conversely, many other species are tender in captivity even within their natural environmental parameters. To sum up an overly long post: We should not criticize someone for wanting to work with a certain species just because many many others have done it poorly. The Sulcata Reality Check is an excellent site to warn someone of what they are getting into. Anyone that then reasonably believes they can commit to overcome any obstacles to proper husbandry should then be aided with whatever knowledge we can share. This is not directed any anyone in particular, or even this particular forum for that matter - just venting.
Lloyd

: As to the temps, using Lloyds method you could probably give it access to the outdoors March/April to October/November. (realisticly) Even then it will require work (in proportion to the size of the tortoise) and dilagence.
: There are many breeders in cool climates keeping these guys but it does require extra time and a good deal of cash and it is usually not recomended. (wink, wink... nudge, nudge)
: Ed

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]