kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Leopard tortoise, and general questions..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by EJ on October 25, 2001 at 09:34:15:

In Reply to: Leopard tortoise, and general questions.. posted by Joshua on October 25, 2001 at 07:57:23:

: 1st Q--- I plan to heat the pen using one of those ceramic heaters mounted out of her reach. The pen will be almost entirely enclosed, top and sides, so the heat will be held.. Does anyone use the little portable electric heaters? Is there a reason they are bad to use? It does have a thermostat and will not be close enough to burn her.

>>For this time of year that would work fine. I use a portable heater (4 ft baseboard type) all year around in my reptile room. (yup, in San Diego)

: 2nd Q--- Substrate... what's everyone
recommend?

>>Pinebark mulch. Its cheap and easy to clean and the critters like to burrow into it.

: 3rd Q--- FOOD!! I read a lot of greens can be bad... But I do know some are necessary. How does a diet of commercial tortoise food, supplemented with greens and minimal fruits sound? I'm thinking like 60-70% dry tortoise food and 30-40% fresh stuff.. is that good for this tortoise??? And what's everoyne's opinion of the new Mazuri food?

>>on the greens, you want to focus on dark leafy greens regardless of where you get them. Shy away from watery fruits and veggies for the most part.
Apples, pears and berries are ocasionally ok for the fruit and squash is occasionally ok for the veggies. Your dietary plans sound pretty good and you've been briefed on the preferred diet.

Ed

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]