kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Amount of space needed to house an adult sulcata for winter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lloyd on October 24, 2001 at 09:58:51:

In Reply to: Amount of space needed to house an adult sulcata for winter? posted by William on October 24, 2001 at 09:08:05:

William,
Six months is an awfully long indoor period for tortoises. I live in the upper midwest and have found that my tropical tortoises only have to be inside for 4 to 5 months of the year. They easily adapt to a heated outdoor house into which they retreat on cold nights and are content to spend a few cold, wet days there also. My guys are still outside even though the temperatures have already been in the teens. They stay at their preferred temperature inside their house and come outside to bask as conditions suit them. This time of year (late October) they are only out basking and grazing for about five hours a day but this is better that total indoor confinement. Just some thoughts, and a lot would depend upon your climate. If you house tortoises in your house consider a separate ventilation system for the room - Kind of like keeping an elephant in the house.
Lloyd

: I have a 20ftX16ft room that would be available to house an adult sulcata for approximatley 6 months out of the year during the colder months. The tortoise would live outdoors in a spacious enclosure for the warmer months. Would this set up be capable of raising a happy healthy sulcata? Keep in mind I do not have one yet, I am just planning ahead. Thanks, William

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]