kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

UK Press: Tortoise who just has to go travelling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Wes von Papineäu on October 20, 2001 at 12:12:35:

NORTH DEVON JOURNAL (UK) 10 October 01 Tortoise who just has to go travelling (ANDREA FOSTER)
The grass was always greener on the other side for one adventurous tortoise who went wandering once too often and was chained up for years.
Those days are now long gone but the roving reptile – referred to affectionately as ‘U-Know' – never lost his wanderlust.
Much to the dismay of his owner Karen Lawson, of Ashford, near Barnstaple, he has disappeared again and she fears that this time it might be for good.
As escape artists go, U-Know has led the Lawson family a merry dance since they welcomed him into their home more than 60 years ago.
Karen, of Hillside, explained that her grandmother bought the tortoise for her son – Karen's uncle – when he was five years old.
There he remained for some 30 years before being passed on to Karen's mum and then, four years ago, to Karen and her three sons.
She added: "He was put on a chain for years at my grandmother's because he kept escaping and when my mum had him – she lives in Barnstaple – she fenced all her garden and he got out somehow.
"He had his telephone number painted on his shell and some lady at Prixford picked him up."
Home for the tireless traveller these days is a fenced pen with a roof tile to give him extra shelter.
As he has not escaped in recent years, Karen could be forgiven for thinking that his garden-hopping days had gone for good.
But, it seems the perky pet was just biding his time and waiting for the right moment to get up and go.
She added: "I couldn't really see where he had got out. I did speak to the RSPCA and they said he could have climbed the pen but I don't think so."
She believes he may have made his escape under the wire instead and that he could be anywhere by now. His disappearance coincided with building work in Barnstaple which forced many motorists to take an alternative route through Ashford.
A worried Karen added: "I have just got a feeling that somebody could have picked him up on the road and he has gone."
His absence is taking some getting used to as the much-loved pet was almost a part of the furniture. Apart from his previous walkabouts, he has always been there.
Karen added: "Initially I looked around my own garden and went around to my neighbour. My son also did a flyer and I phoned the vet's and the police station. His house is still there. I haven't put that away and I just keep thinking he will turn up."
Anyone who finds him will be able to identify him quite easily for he still bears the hole in his shell from being chained up.
Phone Karen on 01271-346142.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]