return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please please help me with Geochelone Elegans (India Star Tortise)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marissa on January 23, 1999 at 16:04:39:

In Reply to: Please please help me with Geochelone Elegans (India Star Tortise) posted by Peter S on January 23, 1999 at 11:29:00:

The Star's habitat should be pretty dry, they come from a dry climate and should not be kept in water, except for the weekly soakings. I would not recommend feeding any spinach as this will lead to system problems. Papaya is okay, but not as a staple, these are basically herbivorous tortoises. For more info than I am even providing you, go to the Tortoise Trust website and e-mail at that website with questions. YOu will be answered by Andy Highfield probably who has experience with Stars, I do not.

A Basking Area is an area under a heat lamp where the tortoise can thermoregulate which means he can absorb heat through his carapace (top shell) to warm his body, they are cold blooded reptiles that rely on outside heat sources to stay warm. Although there should be areas of the enclosure that are cooler, so the tortoise can choose.

Full-Spectrum lighting needs to contain UVB lighting. See if any of the reptile supply places will ship out of the US. Such as www.petswarehouse.com, Big Apple Herpetological...you will want a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb or similar.

I would NOT recommend adding salt to either the water or diet of your tortoise. These are not aquatic tortoises, and are most certainly not salt water turtles.

Many times you will not see a tortoise drink standing water, but they absorb fluids through the cloaca (tube where they urinate, defecate, and lay eggs through) during soakings.

White discharge with the urine is a normal byproduct called urates. If you see them not coming out for a long time or they come out and seem gritty (should be the consistency of toothpaste or even more liquidy) then you are not soaking enough and the tortoise is becoming too dehydrated. If you see this, increase soakings to more times per week.

Tortoise's do yawn, completely normal.

DO NOT allow these tortoises to stay in water all day AT ALL. They should not be in water at all unless they are walking through their water dish, or being soaked. These are land tortoises.

The calcim you are giving has additives which are probably not great, such as Peppermint Oil, Gelatin. Try to get a 100% calcium carbonate reptile supplement. Also, you should be supplementing with a reptile vitamin as well.

WAter treated for human consumption is fine for them.

And as far as nighttime basking, they do most of that during the day, so try to get this tortoise's husbandry and care better to conform to it's needs. Stars are hard to keep, so you need to replicate their proper environment as best as possible.

As far as where to get the proper foods in Singapore? I'm not sure, I'm in New York and have never even been to the Orient (yet). Try contacting a local zoo or reptile club, Herpetological Society, or reptile veterinarian. A vet exam is also indicated here, and a fecal sample should be checked for worms/parasites.

Any other questions should be directed to the Tortoise Trust. They can probably help you more than me! - Marissa

: : I've shone them with fluorenscent light every night(correct basking method?).

: : Do I have to bathe them every day? Is it healthy to bathe them at night? Bathe them in cold or warm water?

: : How often should they be fed and what's the quantity like?
: : Lastly, what should be the color of their faeces?

: Thanks and Rgds
: Peter S

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]