kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Russian Tortoise Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Greg_978 on October 16, 2001 at 08:21:56:

In Reply to: Russian Tortoise Questions posted by Kelly Williams on October 15, 2001 at 20:58:53:

: hi i have 2 russian Torts and i have a few questions about them. i have had one for 2 years and one for about a half a year. i want to fridge hibernate them but i would have to keep the door closed. it is in the garage and the only time we use it is when we want something to drink. when im and school it will be closed but when im home i will try to leave it open a little bit. would they be able to breath when the door is closed? when shouldi start hibernating them? when should i wake them up? is fridge hibernating safe? that is about all the questions i have on my russian Tortoises. i heard on the internet that if the door is opened for a few minutes occasionally that it would be ok to leave the door closed? is that true. the door would be closed at night, when im at school, and whenever im not home. is it ok to leave them in there for a couple of hours like 6-7 hours at a time? would they be able to breath for that long without the door being open? umm and how cold does it have to be for russians to hibernat?? any info would be greatly appreciated thx a lot!!

They are fine to hibernate in the fridge. If you open the door once a day or so, they will have plenty of air, they don't breathe a lot during hibernation.

Review the following for the other questions, I'm sure you'll find it helpful:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/hibernation.htm
http://www.turtletimes.com/index/search.asp?func=search&tree=44&myquery=hibernation
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/safer.html

Remember some of these pages are oriented towards tortoises kept in the UK (England) so might not apply to the USA. The first link is the best one for you I think.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]