return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Russian sleeper w/ heating pad.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Baldwin on January 23, 1999 at 04:35:12:

In Reply to: sleepie time posted by Kyra on January 21, 1999 at 15:34:59:

Kyra:

You haven't mentioned the Winter temperature in your state.

Here in Conn., my Russian is hibernating in an environment of 45 degrees, haven't seen her in 8 weeks. In October/November (60 degrees) she would occassionally eat abundantly, then sleep for approx. 2 weeks and wake up eating again. To accomodate her waking state, I keep her terrarium at 80 degrees w/ a "hot rock", a Vitalight flourescent bulb, and a pair of ordinary 100 watt bulbs.

To accomodate her hibernation, which has gone on every Winter since 1988, I unplug all the appliances and drape a blanket over the terrarium, knowing that the temperature will drop below 50 degrees in the kitchen corner where the tank is. From this perspective, a heating pad in the turtle house is a controversial choice.

All I can say is that my tortois "Molly" eats ravenously before taking an occasional, extended snooze during this time of the year. When she wakes up hungry she will literally beg for food, eyeballing me when I make my breakfast.

Kyra, you may want to review some of the Q&A posted earlier regarding Wintering of hibernating tortoises. A one or two week nap may not be a problem.

Russians are very durable and a good choice for a pet. All you have to do is keep an eye on the turtle pen and after a year or two you will understand her habbits better than the "experts". ......Just be patient and consider the fact that your turtle can easily become your lifelong pal.

Best,

JohnBaldWN@aol.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]