kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

observation #2 (Linda)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by graham(UK) on October 10, 2001 at 17:56:12:

In Reply to: Re: Wonderful specimen posted by Linda on October 10, 2001 at 13:35:59:

Linda, Here's another observation via the UK.

UK diet, mine eat anything & everything, from lawn grass (staple diet) to store bought produce.
They consume cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage (all types) peppers, celery, MUSHROOMS (favorite) carrots (grated), fresh fruit (limited)incl apples, kiwi, peaches, grapes, pears, bananas,etc. No citrus fruit.
Then they get all the common garden weeds available.
They even share ANY lunch foods which I may be eating (again inextremely limited quantity.
You people know how a dog looks at you with them big eyes & say's "give me a taste", well I swear my Sulcata's must have had some canine influence in their genes!!!!!!!

Temps, UK weather say's it all.
They are housed in a purpose built "greenhouse" affectionatly known as the "Hilton" (every concievable mod con going).
The Hilton has it's own sliding door which is opened at first light (by me) & immiterial of weather conditions the torts make their own choice as to whether to venture out or not.
Daytime temps vary from 20c (today) to 40c ""summer"".
Night temps again vary but no heat is placed "on" till temps fall to 15c. I've even known them to handle temps down to 5c without any problems. they just warm themselves up the fopllowing morning & hey presto.........

BTW. Fridays is "fish & chip" dinner for me, & the "lads".........now here lies another story which you won't believe!!!!!!!;0)

Best regards form the UK
graham(UK)

: : That is an awesome specimen. I know it's asking alot , but if you could share with the group the following info, you may teach somebody something.
: Thanks for the compliment, after some comments posted lower on the list I was afraid I was doing something wrong, because she is so much smaller than other sulcatas her age.
: : 1. Diet
: mostly bermuda grass, a few weeds that are growing with the grass, hibsicus flowers,roses, optunia(every few weeks). Once in a while when I am feeding the box turtles I will let her have a treat of a few leaves of lettuce, a slice of squash or tomatoe(this is a small serving no more than a box turtle would get). Sometimes during the winter I will let her have some lettuce or squash in a larger serving if it is too wet to graze.
: : 2. Your Geographic location
: I live in sunny San Diego(which was cool and overcast the last few days, but sunny today)
: : 3. Day and evening temps
: The temps vary, she is living outside, most days it reaches the high 70's or 80's by mid day,sometimes 90's or 100's(not only in the summer here, we sometimes have hot days in January). The nights in her house may drop down into the 60's. When it gets much lower than that I have a heat light for her house. The breeder I bought her from wasn't providing any supplemental heat for his adult sulcatas and they were beautiful looking tortoises, so I am trying to let mine adjust to the temps here without letting her get too cold. She also has what I call her "sunroom" which is some pieces of plexiglass surrounding most of the front of her house, most mornings she will lay in this area and warm and then move on out to graze.
: : Grazie'
: Yes she grazes almost daily on the grass.
: : Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]