kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata Den

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Pamela on October 09, 2001 at 05:37:56:

In Reply to: Re: Sulcata Den posted by danya on October 08, 2001 at 21:46:41:

Oh Gosh! I'm sorry to hear that. I kept Nigel on pellets when he was little. I have Russian Torts on it too...I never had any trouble with it. Do you know what kind of infection it was?
Something like that would make me worry too...a
Pamela

: well, i used to have a leapord tortiose names Bumble Bee. The breeder told me to use rabbit pellets for the floor of her cage and she got an infection from eating it. we couldnt get her to come out of her shell for the shot and she died, so im very worried about this one!!

: : Your Honey Bee sounds precious! I bet if she's eating well, getting regular soakings, and getting proper lighting she's doing fine. My sulcata seems to have growth spurts...most of them time I can't tell that he's growing a bit. Other times, you can almost see the growth rings appearing!

: : I've never heard "exactly" how long it takes for a sulcata to grow full sized. Growth seems to be related to diet and things like that. I hope that my sulcata grows slowly because it's supposed to be healthier for them.

: : Keep us posted on your little one. I worried all the time about Nigel when I first got him. He was the first tortoise I'd ever had...and like any "mommy with a new baby", I wanted to do everything right and worried that everything I did was wrong.

: : Pamela

: :
: : : this doesnt have to do with the den, but my baby is about 6 months old and weighs 3 oz. She is 2.5 inches across the bottom of her shell (head to tail, but not including her head and tail). I was wondering if this is normal, because she hasn't grown in the 4 months i've had her, although she gained half an ounce. So I'm a little worried about Honey Bee, although she's healthy, right now shes frolicking in her 'bath tub'. Also, how long does it take for a sulcata to reach full size? I've heard every answer between 3 and 15 years!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]