kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Mr. Richard Fife. Can you help me sex my Sulcata torts? PIC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Richard Fife on October 05, 2001 at 15:33:29:

In Reply to: Mr. Richard Fife. Can you help me sex my Sulcata torts? PIC posted by Doug D. on October 04, 2001 at 19:06:12:

The pictures ae not real clear but suspect that they are both males.

Sorry for the delay in responding to the forum. I only check the forum once or twice a week.

There are five characteristics that can help in determining the sex of an African spurred tortoise. These develop over time and not necessarily all at once. Generally the sex of an African spurred tortoise cannot be determined until the tortoise is two or three years old. There is some evidence that under certain conditions neither distinctive male or female sexual characteristics develop and these tortoises may be incapable of reproduction.

The only characteristics that can sometimes be seen in hatchlings is the angle of separation of the anal scutes and tail size. Even these are not positive proof of the sex in hatchlings.

The five characteristics are:

1. Tail size. The male has a very long tail, thick tail. The female has a short stubby tail.
2. Anal scutes. The anal scutes in a male will thicken forming a ridge. I believe this protects the male’s reproductive organs during breeding. The angle of separation of the anal scutes in males is generally much wider than in females.
3. Rear marginal scutes. The rear marginal scutes tend to curve under on males.
4. Concavity of plastron. The male’s plastron is slightly concave. The plastron of a female is flat.
5. Gular length. The gular scutes in males form into horn like appendages.

All these characteristics may vary in degree from tortoise to tortoise and become much more obvious the older the tortoise is. I have included a picture of a pair of 16 to 18 inch, captive-hatched, and raised tortoises. The next two posts will include a close up of the same tortoises.

I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]