kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Don't listen to Andy Highfield

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Robert T. on October 04, 2001 at 17:32:44:

In Reply to: Re: mazuri posted by brad on October 04, 2001 at 09:47:53:

: : Most tortoises should have a protein level in their food less than 4%,

: From an article on tortoisetrust.org:

: "The protein requirement for most reptiles have not been studied in sufficient detail and no specific figures have been established for herbivorous terrestrial chelonians. Analysis of the native diet of Gopherus agassizi, which in many respects is typical of and habitat chelonian herbivores, suggests that the protein content of the food intake ranges from 1% (Opuntia sp. ) with grasses at a median content of 5% constituting a major part of the dietary intake (Rosskopf, 1982; Hansen et al, 1976). A safe upper protein limit for items which are regularly included in the diet would seem to be 7% as this is about as high as is ever attained in the wild by most species, even during peak periods of food availability. An average intake level of 4% would represent a close approximation of that experienced in the natural habitat."

:

: I think that people forget that the idea is to give the tortoise a certain amount of nutrients, not a certain amount of "food." In other words, the goal is to give the tortoise X grams of protein, X grams of carbohydrates, X units of Vitamin A, etc., not to give it XX grams of bulk food. If we really knew what we were doing, maybe we could feed the tortoise a very limited amount of nutrient-dense foods like mazuri chow and we might be OK. As it is, letting the tortoise eat these chows without close monitoring of growth can possibly lead to rapid and excess growth.

: I feed my Russians torts greens such as endive and collards, weeds like dandelion, plantain, clover and grass, and some squash and carrots. This is all very low in protein. There appears to be the slightest hint of pyramiding in one fast growing female, probably due to excess food intake (my fault). They get relatively little clover, mostly in the spring.

: I feed my yearling hingeback a mix of canned foods like pretty pets box turtle food, repcal iguana food, reptomin, and natural foods like fruits, greens, earthworms and superworms. While she is relatively smooth, she appears to be significantly larger than her clutch mates (kept by the breeder) who get smaller meals and more natural foods. I'm upping the fruit and veggie content and reducing the canned foods. Unfortunately she likes fruit and bugs but isn't too fond of greens.

: I try to closely monitor growth by taking regular measurements of length and weight and keeping an eye on shell development. I find it is very easy to overfeed, either with natural or canned foods.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]