return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: need to find a vet/ more info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry on January 17, 1999 at 12:50:26:

In Reply to: Re: need to find a vet posted by Terry on January 17, 1999 at 12:31:27:

Sandy, check the link below for more photos, look at the first section. Scroll down to Geochelone Pardalis Babcocki , does your tortoise look like these leopards?
This is the hatchling Haven web site, check out the whole site and the links.
Terry.

:
: : I recently found an abandoned tortoise in my apartment building. I am not very familiar with the ways i should be taking care of it. According to the information i have gotten from the internet, it is a leopard tortoise and it is still very young. It seems to be sleeping a lot but it wakes up and walk around the house once a day. I have been feeding it apples and pears, but I'm not sure if that is what he needs.
: : I would really love to keep this tortoise but I think I will be needing a liscence for that, can anyone help to give me some information on that? Also, I need to find a vet for it because I think it might need some health check-ups, if you live around Boston area, could you send me an email telling me where to find a vet?

: Hi Sandy, below is a link to The Tortoise Trust. You will find a Leopard care sheet in the Care Sheet section. You can also subscribe to The mailing list, very helpfull as lots of long time keepers post.
: I dont feed any fruit to my leopards, fibre is the most important ingredient in their diet. Fresh grasses and clovers ( no pestiside or fertilizers) is a good way to provide the fibre. Are you sure it's a leopard tort? Check out the photo at the tortoise trust leopard care sheet. Let us know if it is a leopard.Also check out the photos of other torts. I'm not sure if box turtles are native to your neck of the woods , but also check out the box turtle pics. It is very important to know what species you have, as the care is different.
: For a vet in your area try this web site.
: http://www.sonic.net/melissk/society.html#societies
: Click on your state, find the vets closest to you, and call to find the ones with the most Tort experience.
: Post here again with a full description of your tort. Shell pattern, skin color, number of claws on back feet. etc.Is the shell high domed or flat?
: Does it have scales on it's legs? If so what color?
: Check out the link below, and let us know.
: Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]