return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: just Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe on January 16, 1999 at 18:10:45:

In Reply to: just Help posted by Kyra on January 16, 1999 at 16:47:30:

: I found out that I have a female Russian Tortoise thanks to Andrew Godambe..
: but now I have a few more I live in a five story building and live at the top floor and
: all the iformation I have gottin said Russian toroises like to dig..but I have no yard.so you see
: I was wondering if I could just fill a 40 gallon tank with sand and would she still be as happy
: as being outside? aslo she as not eaten sense i got her but
: she just started drinking water..to most of you this must sound stupid but I would realy like to
: keep her but if she has to be outside then I will have to give her back to the pet store.
: help me please.....

Hi!
I keep my russians outdoor most of the year. I have to bring the in Dec-Feb. I have tried many
different arrangements. What works best for me is a large rubbermade container. I'm not sure of
the size. It looks as big as my 75 Gal aquarium. It works well cause they can't see out and its
light enough to make cleaning easy. I've tried many substrates. Yes they are persistant diggers.
I found that an inch of rabbit pellets and a pile of timothy hay stacked at the end opposite the
basking lights seems to make them feel secure enough that they're not constantly digging.

Mine occasionally go off feed. When this happens I soak them daily. I have found that offering
frozen mixed veggies (defrosted of course)starts them eating then I switch to greens. Also for
some reason they'll pig out on cauliflower when they wont touch anything else. If you need more
detals e-mail me.
Joe

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]