kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Are you sure you want a Sulcata???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Minh on September 14, 2001 at 10:22:51:

In Reply to: Re: i was just wondering if....... posted by Greg_978 on September 08, 2001 at 06:25:03:

Sulcatas are the third largest tortoise in the world. Good pets since they are hardy, but bad pets since they require a lot of space and food.

The captive breeding success with this species in the last 15 years has been a phenomenal!! I don't think that they will ever go extinct now that breeders have figured out how to reproduce them.

My analogy with Sulcatas is similar to people wanting to buy a large breed of dog. Sometimes people bite off more than they can chew, and that cute little puppy ends up at the animal shelter when it grows into a 100 pound adult dog. Animals require a lot of care, and big animals require even more care. Make sure you want a tortoise that big. Owning one would be similar to owning livestock in terms of the amount of space and care it needs. All turtles are charming when they are little, but what happens when they mature into a behemoth?? How would you feel then??

I heard a rumor from one of the herp clubs here in S California. Supposedly, rangers in our local deserts are finding stray sulcatas after their former owners grow tired of them. An exotic, aggressive tortoise species in the Calif deserts would pose a threat to our already endangered Calif Desert Tortoise.

Just some things to think about .

MINH

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]