return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Asian Markets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew Godambe on January 15, 1999 at 10:00:51:

Seven or eight years ago I was in Tiawan visiting my father who was working there at the time. One evening I went out to see the sights around Taipai. A place called "Snake Alley" was my first stop being a "die hard" herper I was excited to see what this place was all about!

Like many asian streets there was vendors selling fake designer watches, cloths, and asian food. I was thinking to myself "why is this place called Snake Alley" and then I came upon a really sick booth, there was a guy hooking live codras through the head, slitting open their bellies and draining blood or gall into a shot glass so a customer could drink it! As if that was not disgusting enough, there was another guy "dispatching" turtles.

I hate to be graphic but this really pissed me off, 5in+ turtles were put on a wooden slab a ice pick was plunged into their heads and with the other hand the guy would lob off their heads. I am not "China bashing" and I can understand that animals that we westerners consider pets (dogs, cats, turtles ect.) are food items in asia.

What "sucks" is that here in the US people suck our water ways dry of native turtles to feed the growing asian populations. Our government does not regulate this but trys to make us (reptile keepers/breeders) look like the evil ones!
THAT IS BULL S**T

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]