kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: T. hermanii hermanii tips/hints/tricks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Dagmar on September 05, 2001 at 22:44:02:

In Reply to: T. hermanii hermanii tips/hints/tricks posted by Greg_978 on September 05, 2001 at 19:30:41:

I have a small group of juveniles of testudo hermanni hermanni, and am working towards breeding them in a few years. I love them! Very active and responsive...bright, in my opinion, as tortoises go. In the summer, they have been outdoors, (I live in the northeast), and I've just brought them to their inside pen. Two things I've found...they will eat calcium carbonate from a dish ( I provide it always indoors or out in a pure form) when they seem to need it, and they seem to require a fairly regular water source. I soak them at least two times a week and also have a shallow water dish available to them, which they seek out on a regular basis. Mine will eat almost anything I offer, from Pretty Pets pellets once a week, to dandelions, to the spring mix grocery store greens. I am, however, a believer in slow tortoise growth being better overall, so feed them only 2-3 times a week.... less when it's cooI ...I try to wait til they seem to be really hungry. I think the excercise is good for them, and I know the diet i provide is more nutrient rich than what they would get in the wild..
Would be happy to correspond with you via personal email.

This is the indoor pen I have. About six feet by three feet, with two basking areas of different intensity, uv bulb, and as much environmental interest as i can arrange.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]