kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: New sulcata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Freight on September 02, 2001 at 11:06:11:

In Reply to: New sulcata posted by FS. on September 02, 2001 at 04:14:59:

Once they get a bit of size to them you really should'nt have to worry about the temps so much as long as they can get warm during the day, and don't consistently get below 65 so, although many people seem to let them be outside in cooler temps, I'm not willing to take that chance as of yet.

Sounds like you've got it down to me!

Best of luck!
Freight

: Hello
: I just bought my first sulcata today and insted of asking I will tell you what I know and you all can let me know if I got it right.
: I have 20 years exp. with reptiles working with everything from corn snakes to mambas to large monitors and gators. I do have limited exp. with torts only ever keeping sliders, snappers and eastern box. I would like to do this animal right I dont want her to grow up like every other sulcata at the show as bumpy as the PA. roads.
: From the info I can find the best method of feeding is grazing with supplements of hay. No meat of any kind and fruit is not needed. Some leafy vegetables are ok but only for a supplement.
: Vitamin D3, calcium and phosphorus is needed to help prevent MBD if it does not have sun light. To much of these can do harm and are just as bad as none at all. Spinach, carrots, and chards contain calcium oxalates and should NEVER be fed.
: Sulcatas need alot of space to roam and graze. They will dig a deep burrow outside and when they are in their inside pen they should have a substrate of hay deep enough for them to burrow in and hide boxes as well as UVb lighting and daily fresh water.
: A day time temp no lower than 80 with a basking spot of around 95 and a night time temp of no less than 70.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]