return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help!!!My Burmese brown tortoise / More info.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T.Y. on January 11, 1999 at 15:13:38:

In Reply to: Re: Help!!!My Burmese brown tortoise / More info. posted by Terry on January 11, 1999 at 14:01:11:

: Hi again, one more thing, the Burmese tortoise, doesn't need very high temperatures. I dont know what the temps are in your enclosure, but make sure that it can get out of the heat. If it is too hot it will become inactive , so try to get a heat gradient of about 70 in the cooler end , to 80 in the warmer end.What state do you live in? is the tort housed inside or outdoors? Burmese torts love rain, as long as it is not too cold in your area, an outdoor enclosure may be the best way to go. If it gets too hot and dry, you can give the enclosure a misting a few times a week. Hope this helps, please post with anymore questions you may have.
: Terry.
Hi Terry:
Thanks for your info!!!
I gave my emys a water bowl.In the summer,she's always stay in the water every day.She's indoor.
The temp is around 22 degree C.I lived in MD.When I got my emys.She just like eat
banana and melon.She didn't want to eat the leafy green.What can I do???oh!!!She ates the orange today,but just
ates a little!!!Thanks!!!

: :
: : : Hello!!!I keep my emys around 5 months.2 months ago,She
: : : (or He)ates a little!!!She likes to eat banana and melon.
: : : two weeks ago,She didn't want to eat every food,but she
: : : dranks the water!!!What can I do for my emys!!!I don't
: : : want to lose her!!!
: : : Thanks for your help!!!
: : : T.Y.

: : Hi ,Manouria Emys, ( burmese tortoise) need a humid enviroment. They also enjoy bathing and must have a shallow bathing dish available, sometimes they may soak for hours.So water for drinking and bathing must always be available.
: : Or the tortoise may become dehydrated, I would soak the tort everyday for about 20 minutes, in shallow lukewarm water.The water should only come up to where the plastron ( bottom shell) meets the carapace ( top shell). Do this once a day , for about 3 days. And make sure that you provide a shallow water bowl in the enclosure so the tort can drink and soak on it's own.( very important for this species)
: : Bannana is not a recomended food. Tortoises can become adicted to it . Try to feed leafy greens, Romaine lettuce, endive, dandelions, watercress, collards, chicory,provide a variety of leafy greens. Emys do need fruit in their diet, so mix in a small amount of chopped melon, orange, grapes, mango. The fruit should only make up about 10% of the diet. Animal protein should also be fed, but only once a month and in a very small amount. A little rehydrated dog or cat chow added to the greens once a month is fine. Dont use canned food.
: : If this is a new tort a trip to the vet for a check up and fecal is a good idea, to make sure there are no parasites.
: : Just remember, emys do need a humid enviroment and water. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
: : Terry.
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]