kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: You misunderstood the question.... more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Freight Freitas on September 01, 2001 at 16:54:39:

In Reply to: You misunderstood the question.... more posted by Gy with quesiton on September 01, 2001 at 15:59:47:

Great, another hothead that wants a Sulcata!

Heres some info on my Sulcatas astounding growth rate! Maybe not as SPECIFIC as you'd like it to be, but I'm sure you'll get the idea!
In Reply to: Re: Sulcatta roaming free in "sulcatta proofroom"[basement too]? posted by Christine on August 31, 2001 at 20:54:54:

Actually, what Christine meant to say is taht Suka went from a hatchling to 3 1/2 lbs in about 1 year, at which point we took him in, and he grew from 3 1/2 lbs to 22 lbs in 2 1/2 years. When he's inside, and if he's not mad at us, he usually eliminates in his hide box which has a large rubbermaid tub top upside down in it to catch the mess. But, if he's not happy for any reason he WILL go on the floor, and when we moved he was so mad that he would go on the rug, and then walk through it and smear it all over the room and the walls! Try cleaning that up!!!

These guys are real cute, really smart, and very vindictive!

As for the comments on humidity, I have found that the bigger he gets, the less he is affected by it. Talk to Giovanni, as he is in humidity central and has one of the most beautiful Sulcatas I have seen!

Freight

Chris,

: First of all, how big is this sulcata you plan on getting? It's set up should be based on that. If it's a baby, s/he can be housed in a large properly set up enclosure, with proper substrate, lighting, heating and hiding places. There are a lot of websites detailing how to set up a hatchling sulcata properly.

: I don't know about your cellar, but my cellar (remember, I am in the NE, too) gets damp and drafty in the winter months. Bad idea for a Sulcata.

: Even though we have to house our Sulcata indoors for the winter, the window shades in his room are always wide open and he has lots of artificial light. It's not as good as being outdoors, but I don't think a cellar is a good place for a Sulcata, too dingy and drab.

: As for the poops, well, you might as well get used to it. They're going to be big and smelly. And the bigger the tortoise, the bigger and smellier the poops. There's no way around it.

: Please remember that whatever setup you choose, it's most likely going to have to change in a few years. Sulcatas love to roam and they need room to do so.

: A few more questions: do you live with other people? Do they realize that your sulcata will grow into a large reptile capable of destruction? Are they willing to live with the smell (his smell will not be confined to your room even if he is)?

: I also will caution you: when thinking about your little guys future care don't say "I'll worry about it later". Worry about it now. In 3 years, our sulcata went from 7 lbs. to 22 lbs.

: I just want to drive home the point that if you don't think you can care properly for this little guy for life, don't acquire him. You can try a smaller tortoise/turtle that require less specialized care.

: Sulcatas are great, but they require A LOT of care and EVEN MORE care in the northeast.

: I keep several other types of turtles/tortoises thta bring me a lot of joy. You can e-mail me if you'd like to know more, indreams@mediaone.net

: Peace,
: ~Christine

: : I am planning to let my sulcatta roam free around my sulcatta proofed room just for the winter. I am okay with this but what about the urine and poop??? Surely, they cannot be potty trained. Any suggestions. Oh and uh, this is my bedroom I'm talking about here so that is why I am so concerned. If this is not a good idea, any ideas on how to house in basement???

: I asked how long it takes for a sulcata to GET to the size of a bowling ball. Notice I didn't say maximum size... I said GET to be. And I said how LONG. Keyword LONG!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]