return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Killer Potato?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jonathan Gray on January 10, 1999 at 19:36:21:

In Reply to: feeding greek tortoise posted by Ian on December 19, 1998 at 10:35:04:

Ian:
I have a bunch of Greek tortoises (T.ibera) that have been eating cooked sweet potatos for years and are doing fine and breeding great. I give them sweet potato every few weeks as a treat (I would imagine obesity could be a problem if it was a daily addition), cooked and then cubed or grated. I've never heard that sweet potato could be harmful.
I know that runny noses have been a problem with the T. graecas that were imported from North Africa a few years back, and many (if not most) succumbed to respirtory infections. I owned a beautiful, lemon-yellow female that had a runny nose almost the entire time I owned her. After repeated trips to the vet, I decided to let Nature take its course with her. The runny nose came and went, came and went, etc. but she always ate well, acted well, and kept a good weight. I heard that the T. graecas did much better in a hot, dry climate so I sent her to a friend in Arizona where she continues to thrive. It was suggested to me that that in her case, the runny nose may have been symptomatic of allergies as opposed to an infection.
One last note: she laid three eggs in her pen which I discoved while cleaning. I boke one accidently but successfully hatched the other two. Both are doing extremely well and have beautiful patterns on their carapaces.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]