kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Herman's Tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Linda44847 on August 26, 2001 at 16:58:16:

In Reply to: Re: Herman's Tortoise posted by Janie on August 26, 2001 at 16:21:19:

Thanks, Janie....hard to find any reassurance when you as new as I am. I weigh her every day and soak her every 3 or 4 days. Her weight is
very stable--never shifts and I use two different scales. I do try to keep fresh greens available all the time....change them twice a day--scrub her
housing out every 5 days or so and change bedding.
I am using All Pet Pine -- crumbled pine pellets --customer service at manufacturer assured me it was safe...do you have any better suggestions?

The person who sold her to me said to use wood shaving material or newspaper--no one had any ideas here in this area as too proper bedding and newpaper just did not seem right...

I really want to take good care of my tortoise. She is very friendly and seems relatively happy...but I do not know what an unhappy tortoise looks like. I am in process of constructing a winter housing place in my office
approximately 4 foot in diameter. Paxil is suppose to be about 3 years old--she is approximately 4 1/2 inches wide by 5 1/2 inches long and weighs a consistent one and one half pounds. By comparison to the diagrams I find on the internet I am pretty confident Paxil is female. Short thick tail and lovely eyes.

I got this tortoise at the All Ohio Reptile show at the end of July. She has 3 inches at least of bedding to dig in--ceramic heat bulb at one end....uv light in middle and hiding box at the other end of a 48" x 24" x 12" plastic storage
box. I do have a real problem with letting her outside in the 4 x 4 enclosure unless I am sitting there.....I live in country....do not feel secure. All kinds of other things around but I know it is not healthy to keep her inside all the time. Even with a screen cover on wooden
box I worry that a raccoon or fox or something could find a way to get in. Also...what are the chances of Paxil digging out?? Can I let her wander around my tv room occassionally?

Please may I have a copy of your care sheet? Maybe I am making myself crazy. I just do not want
to do the wrong thing and poor Paxil is completely dependent on me.

One more quick question--took a stool sample to vet.....he has NO tortoise experience but could not see any evidence of parasites--are parasites
very common in a tortoise? I wanted an older tortoise because a tiny baby seemed so fragile, but Paxil was in a realative small plastic container with many other tortoises all sizes and shapes that is a major concern with other types of livestock here on the farm so I am concerned about Paxil. I have years and years of experience with all types of farm animals and dogs and cats but there is only one Paxil.

Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]