kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

the hidden treats...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Pamela on August 25, 2001 at 22:52:42:

In Reply to: He looks wonderful. I like that idea of hiding treats. n/p posted by Lisa and Virgil on August 25, 2001 at 21:11:45:

When I first put Nigel in his big outdoor pen, he would only walk it's perimeter. I began scattering around treats in his pen to try to get him to utilize the whole thing. It worked really well... Now he goes on excursions to see what he can find.

I was really surprised that he didn't keep the grass in his pen grazed down more. Seems he prefers to graze on the new growth grass and will eat it to the dirt rather than eat the taller mature grass, so I have to actually cut the grass in his pen! During a moment of creativity, laziness, or perhaps a combination of the two, I decided to let some of the grass in his pen grow tall and cut a series of "tortoise paths" for him instead of cutting the whole pen. (imagine poorly crafted tortoise crop circles) He uses all the paths but sometimes decides to bulldoze his way through the higher thick grass. It's really neat to see him stomping his way down one of his paths with a great sense of purpose(the treats). ...And funny to see the tall grass moving violently just before a tortoise bursts out of the growth into one of the paths with a "Where IS that Treat?!" look on his face...
...Gosh I enjoy having a sulcata!
Pamela

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]