kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Some thoughts on pyramiding for Lisa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on August 20, 2001 at 13:02:12:

In Reply to: Re: Some thoughts on pyramiding for Lisa posted by Lisa and Virgil on August 19, 2001 at 20:52:57:

Lisa.
The photos at Annies link are heartbreaking, but they are also severe cases.

From the photos of the younger sulcata posted here, most if not all are not nearly as severely pyramided.

To be completely honest with you Virgil is starting to show signs of pyramiding, you can see the scutes are raised a bit.

This doesn't have to mean he will end up looking remotely like the tortoises at Annies site though.
His pyramiding could be mild and he could outgrow it, as it seems quite a few sulcatas do.

All you can do is your best, no more.
You're not giving him a terrible diet containing all the wrong foods.
You're doing the best you can and that's all any of us can do.

I think that many factors play a part in pyramiding.
I had a little Redfoot that just wasn't happy with me.
He was young and his scutes started to show signs of pyramiding, about as much as Virgils do now, just a bit.
I was devastated and rehomed him with a Redfoot breeder a few miles away, hoping she'd have better luck and he'd be happier.
She has him on pretty much the same diet I did, but for some reason the scutes flatened straight out. What little pyramiding he had vanished within a year of living at his new home!

Hoku I am trying to grow up nice and smooth, (without starving the little tort!)and so far it's going well.

Should he start to get raised scutes, I can't blame myself entirely and neither should you.

At least people are aware of pyramiding now, looking into and debating the causes.
I remember posts just a couple of years back where people thought that pyramiding was "neat" and "normal"!

Virgil is a little cutie and doing well.
He's not a year old, but 7" or more and a deformed bumpy mess.Like some of the poor sulcatas we hear about.

Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]