kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Pyramiding survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on August 19, 2001 at 17:35:33:

In Reply to: Pyramiding survey posted by Lisa and Virgil on August 17, 2001 at 23:08:26:

Hi Lisa.

Pyramiding can start at an early age, less than a year.
Sadly some sulcatas are way too big for their age, and severely pyramided by age one.
The first sign of pyramiding is the slightly raised scutes, as you're feeling in Virgil.
It could get worse and turn into severe pyramiding,(very pointy/lumpy shell.Or remain resonably mild,slightly raised scutes.
Or anywhere in between a bit bumpy etc.

But it's all considered pyramiding, unless the shell (carapace) is completely smooth.Just various different stages, mild, severe etc.

As I've mentioned many times, I have two sulcata that had pyramiding when I got them.
They are growing out smoothly, but because of the previous pyramiding their carapace will not be perfect.As they grow and the scutes flaten, they are not perfectly shaped, a little distorted. However they are both young and as they grow the pyramiding is far less obvious.

They no longer have those big pointy bumps,close together.They have much smaller bumps that become far less noticable as they grow, many scutes are now completely flat.They younger of the two,who was infact a very bumpy little sulcata is showing remarkable improvement.
She had a huge growth spurt, but all new growth is smooth.

I really suspect that overfeeding and feeding the wrong foods plays a very large part in pyramiding.
On top of that I believe that lack of sunlight and exercise also plays a part.

Cut way back on high protein or high fat foods, offering the most natural diet that you can.Even then don't over do it.
And ensure that your tort is in the largest possible enclosure, so it can get enough exercise.

Hoku gets one hibiscus flower a day, apart from that he gets very little food.
A little romaine, endive every few days and every now and then a little grated yellow squash.
He gets a mulberry leaf every few days but is outdoors all day and has constant access to a grazing area.
He's two and a half inches, his enclosure is 12'-6'.
All new growth is light, no big dark areas, and smooth.

King Carl is a very nice looking sulcata, not perfect but very nice.It looks as though he may at one time have had some pyramiding, probably mild.
Much like Angel my large female sulcata. She could be King Karls twin, although Angels carapace is not quite as nice looking as King Karls.She insists on trying to squeeze under things and is always scratching or bumping her shell up.

I don't know if Gio knows King Karls complete history, as I don't believe he had him from a hatchling.
It would be interesting to find out how he was kept/fed from a tiny hatchling to present day.

If you ever visit Honolulu go to the Zoo.
There you will find the most perfect group of sulcata, about 20 of them.
Completely smooth, not one raised scute between them!All scutes perfectly formed and shaped, no distortions, just smooth and gorgeous.

I also had an absolutely perfect male (Big Ben), he was perfect. Not even a scratch on him and a wonderful, smooth, perfect carapace.
But I didn't raise him, I got him as a fully grown adult.
I do know he was housed outdoors his entire life, but that's about it.

My advise, if the scutes are becoming raised adjust something in your husbandry.
Try a lower protein diet and larger enclosure.
Or feed a bit less food.

It's hard to really put a finger on what exactly is causing the pyramiding in each individual case.

I even suspect humididy plays a part, as all the sulcata I've seen that were raised here in Hawaii are so smooth.And it's definately quite humid here.

All you can really do is try to prevent pyramiding and if you see it beginning, experiment with different diets etc to keep it in check.

Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]