kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What is the definition of an exotic reptile?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by DaviDC. on August 17, 2001 at 21:28:46:

In Reply to: license. posted by Eric T. on August 17, 2001 at 16:45:22:

Licensing guns hasn't slowed down arms trading but it might stop Buffy from impulse purchasing that cute little sulcata tortoise she saw on the internet & wont be able to care for in 5 years. This could be a good thing but doesn't the Government control too many aspects of our lives already?

Laws banning possession of certain animals are long overdue yet this is considered to be an infringement on our rights as free citizens. Recently in a small town near there I live, a redneck allowed his black hooded cobra to escape. We have plenty of poisonous snakes in the South but this didn't stop the community from becoming panicked, after all, it was a friggin COBRA. Seeing Bubba interviewed on the evening news, standing in front of his squalid trailer that he shared with many snakes, made me cheer for the cobra. After weeks of unsuccessful searching for the snake, the town council passed a law prohibiting keeping "exotic animals" within city limits. This was a good thing by most accounts, yet it happened in the same county I live in, bringing the battle of animal regulation that much closer to home.

Both sides make valid points. As long as those who keep reptiles are aware of what might happen as well as what is happening now, we shouldn't let any repressive laws be passed without putting up a fight. Or we might just sit on our duffs like the people of Germany did during the 30's thinking "they wouldn't do that", or "isn't that just awful?" We all know how that turned out.

Face it boys & girls, there are no simple solutions to this situation, but my oh my, it sure did make for one of the liveliest discussions I've seen on this forum in quite some time!

DC

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]