kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Slight pyramiding in sulcata's shell growth, why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Freight on August 17, 2001 at 17:31:35:

In Reply to: Re: Slight pyramiding in sulcata's shell growth, why? posted by Justin on August 17, 2001 at 09:35:00:

Sulcatas are designed to eat a very low nutrient diet that is low in water content, so they tend to do best on grasses and hay that has a low protein content. When we got our Sulcata he had bad pyramiding, and was eating a diet of mixed veggies and was kept in a very small enclosure. Over a long period of time, I got him to accept a mixture of hay and greens and his shell is now growing normally, although he may never fully outgrow all the pyramids. If you can get the hay/grass into their diet now, it could very well help to alleviate or at least lessen the pyramids.

Alfalfa hay is high in protein, so I'll caution you to either not use it, or use very little, as it could cause the continuation of the pyramids.We use a hay that is grown locally and is comprised mostly of a natural sweet meadow grass, and I mix it with small amounts of either chickory, turnip greens, escarole, occasional red/green leaf and romaine lettuce.He's really picky, so you may have luck with other things that mine won't eat.
I have also found that getting them as much outdoor exercise does wonders for slowing their growth and keeping them happy too!

Good luck!
Freight
: Pyramiding is a direct result of metabolic rate. It has to do with many factors:

: Availlable calcium
: Amount of D3 availlable to use calcium
: Calories in diet
: Exercise
: Temperature
: Fiber intake

: Many of these factors can not be properly maintaned, while the animals is inside.

: Justin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]