kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Which Torts are hard/easy to breed.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on August 12, 2001 at 01:03:01:

In Reply to: Which Torts are hard/easy to breed. posted by Toby on August 11, 2001 at 23:50:33:

Under the right conditions sulcata are very prolific. BUT they can lay up to 40 eggs a clutch and double clutch. So you could end up with as many as 80 hatchlings a year, from one breeding pair. That's a rather high estimate, but definately possible.

What are you going to do with all the hatchlings?
There are already way to many unwanted sulcatas out there. Why add to that ever increasing number?
I refuse to breed my sulcatas for that very reason, there are enough people doing it already. And far too many unwanted sulcata.

If I was to breed (and I hope to have success with my Russians in the next few years)I wouldn't want to end up with more hatchlings than I could find good homes for.

There are many things to consider, do you want to breed to make money, for pure profit?
Or more as a hobby, keeping some of the hatchlings and finding good homes for the others?

I would go with a species that needs help,or a species such as Russian torts where captive bred hatchlings are not too common yet.But on the rise at last thank goodness, hopefully it will take the strain off wild caught imports.
Russians are not too difficult to breed, if healthy and once they reach breeding size. They also don't produce huge clutches and captive bred Russians are much in demand these days.
As more people become aware of the wc versus cb issue.

My advise would be to go with a species that doesn't grow to a huge adult size, or produce large clutches.

Hermanns, Russians, redfoot, elongated and so forth.
Or an endangered species, or one where cb are not yet common.

Hope this helps.
Terry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]