kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Sulcata - Scraping scales off back legs!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Georgia on August 11, 2001 at 20:57:21:

In Reply to: Sulcata - Scraping scales off back legs!!! posted by Freight on August 11, 2001 at 15:55:44:

: My 22 lb. Sulcata, Suka, has scales missing on his rear legs at the back of the knee on both legs. He recently started doing a little digging to escape the heat, and now has these 2 sore spots on his legs which are pinkish, but not red nor bleeding I'm just concerned that if he continues to agrivate this area, he may become suseptable to infection?
: His marginal scutes near his legs are quite sharp,and appear to be the cause of the rubs he has. His shell is in very good shape especially in this area and looks just like all the other Sulcatas I've seen, so I figure he might just have gotten carried away on his first dig!

: Anyone else seen this before?

: Thanx!
: Freight
:

Hi...we've had it with both our sulcatas. Same thing but it wasn't caused from digging. So far (fingers crossed) we haven't had any digging from either. We keep their dogloos fairly full of timothy hay, which they don't eat and they dig in it. We also supply plenty of shade and accessible water. The scraping you mentioned is in the same place on our two. They have never bleed either and we have been lucky that they haven't gotten infected. It worries me also, especially with our larger sulcata who is a messy pig. I gently hose their rear legs off daily, sometimes twice a day when the scraping appears. Maybe others will have some suggestions. I have often thought of taking a soft nail file to the sharp areas of the scutes but as yet haven't.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]